Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pre-reading Week 2

  • I define race is based on color of an individual. It's more like a classification of individuals in a certain place. Also human beings can be define based on their color, physical characteristics (e.g. short, tall, hair color, skin complexion, etc.)
  • African-Americans (people that originated from Africa or their background history is from Africa). Asian-Americans like Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Thailand, Malaysian, etc. (minorities migrated from the Pacific Ocean and Middle Eastern part of the globe). Latino-Americans (group of individuals that came from the southern part of America). Chicanos are also preferred as U.S. citizens of Mexican decent. White (I see this every time I fill out an application and it's always the first choice in the given choices of ethnicity or race; Whites that are from north east part of the the globe).
  • Certain individuals can also be in a race if they share the same skin color, hair color, physical features, and characteristics. Some people can  be in two different culture or can speak two different language. A person can be half-half in their race, meaning the person's mother can be Filipino and his/her dad can be White.
  • I think categorizations vary from society to society, it might depend on their beliefs about the race or the culture of group of individuals. I originally grew up in the Philippines and migrated to United States when I was 14 years old and for me it seems that the classification system is the same. 
  • Ethnicity of a certain individual can be based on their share of common culture, beliefs, religion, language (mother tongue). 
  • I'm not sure about the difference between the race and ethnicity but i strongly suggest that race is about physical characteristics like hair color, skin color, height or other characteristics that can define a person in a certain group. In contrast to, ethnicity is about cultural characteristics and their beliefs.
  • For my race as a Filipino decent, I have black hair, tan skin color (sometimes other people categorizes Asians that have yellow skin, but not because they have Hep A or B it's just in their genes to have yellowish skin tone). As for my ethnicity as a Filipino, we strongly believe in religion and Christ/Jesus as holy figure, the one that we worship. 
  • Sometimes people do tend to think that I'm half Chinese and half Filipino because I don't have a tan skin tone. In some occasion they identify me as Filipino which is the correct race or ethnicity. People that identified me correctly as a Filipino probably new how the Filipinos look like and have an understanding or an overview of the culture and beliefs of Filipinos.
Word count:441

2 comments:

  1. I love your story and it's quite fascinating :D :). But I don't really agree with the fact that race has to do with physical characteristics. As you rightly said, you are but your physical characteristics make people mistake you for an Asian. With this can you still say race can be characterized by physical characteristics? I guess your answer is no :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kriselle,
    I definitely agree with your classification between race and ethnicity and I think you will find a more complex version of this argument in the reading. But Abi does bring up an good question- people sometimes still misidentify people even if they use physical characteristics. So this question is to both of you: What might be some of the reasons why someone would feel they were identified incorrectly even if physical traits were used?

    ReplyDelete